Measures in place for Bun Scrambling Competition
Details have been announced of measures which will allow people to watch the Cheung Chau Bun Scrambling Competition in an orderly manner on Friday night (May 5).
The Bun Scrambling Competition was well-received by the public when revived last year (2005). It will be held this year at the soccer pitch of Pak Tai Temple Playground.
The event, jointly organised by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department and Hong Kong Cheung Chau Bun Festival Committee, is expected to attract a large crowd of spectators.
The department, Hong Kong Cheung Chau Bun Festival Committee, Home Affairs Department, Police and Transport Department held a joint press conference today (May 3) to announce details of the crowd management measures.
The department’s Assistant Director of Leisure Services, Mr Eddy Yau Kwok-yin, said the opening ceremony of the Bun Scrambling Competition would start at 11.30pm on May 5, while the competition would begin just after midnight.
“Due to limited space, the soccer pitch of Pak Tai Temple Playground will accommodate 1,500 spectators.
“The venue will be divided into five zones, with one zone designated for official guests and the other four for the public,” Mr Yau said.
“It is anticipated there will be quite a number of people waiting to view the contest, so we have arranged to open the Cheung Chau Sports Centre, with a screen wall measuring five metres by four metres, to broadcast the opening ceremony and the competition live.
“The sports centre can accommodate about 1,000 spectators.”
People who want to watch the competition at the soccer pitch or Cheung Chau Sports Centre should gather at Pak She Second Lane, and queue along Wo Shun Lane and Pak She First Lane. Admission tickets will be distributed at Pak She Second Lane starting from 9.45pm. Each person will be given one ticket while supplies last.
The Police and staff of the organisers will be on hand for crowd management. When spectators have got their tickets they should wait in the queue. Admission will start at 10.30pm and people should enter in the sequence from Zone One to Zone Four in an orderly manner.
Once the soccer pitch is full, the organisers and the Police will direct ticket holders to Cheung Chau Sports Centre.
Meanwhile, TVB Jade and a number of pay TV channels are prepared to broadcast the event live. This will let people enjoy the excitement at home.
Notices will be put up at the ferry piers from 6pm in Cheung Chau and Central, informing people of the schedule of the events and location of the venues. Announcements will also be made on board ferries.
Those who wanted to see the contest should pay attention to the announcements, Mr Yau said.
The Chairman of Hong Kong Cheung Chau Bun Festival Committee, Mr Yung Chi-ming, and the Islands District Council member Ms Lee Kwai-chun said many tourists and Cheung Chau locals would also be keen to watch the competition this year.
The Divisional Commander (Cheung Chau), Mr Woo Chun-shan, said adequate manpower would be deployed to manage the crowd in an orderly manner.
The Senior Transport Officer (Planning/Ferry), Ms Lee Mei-fung, said that with many people dispersing after the event, the First Ferry had arranged additional ordinary ferry service after midnight from Cheung Chau to Central.
Extra ferry services will be arranged when necessary.
“Extra frequency of bus route 104R, running from No. 5 Ferry Pier in Central to Mong Kok, will be scheduled at 12.30am. The following overnight bus routes will be scheduled between 12.30am and 3am on May 6 via the No. 5 Ferry Pier in Central to Eastern District and Southern District on Hong Kong Island, New Territories East and Kowloon:
- N90 (from Macau Ferry Terminal, Central to South Horizons)
- N8X (from Macau Ferry Terminal, Central to Siu Sai Wan)
- N182 (from Macau Ferry Terminal, Central to Kwong Yuen, Sha Tin)
- N619 (from Macau Ferry Terminal, Central to Shun Lee, Kwun Tong)
“The Transport Department will activate the Emergency Transport Co-ordination Centre on May 5 and 6 to closely monitor the demand for public transport, and will keep in close contact with the ferry and bus companies to make necessary transport arrangements.”
The Islands District Officer, Mr Owin Fung Ho-yin, said the manpower of the hospital will be doubled and additional manpower of the Government Flying Service will be on standby at Chek Lap Kok to provide necessary first aid service on board helicopters.
Mr Yau appealed those people who wanted to see the competition in Cheung Chau to co-operate and follow the instructions given by the Police and working staff of the organisers. To see this traditional activity, they should be patient in crowded places.
“In the event of Typhoon Signal Number Three or above or Black Rainstorm Warning hoisted three hours before the 11.30pm opening ceremony, the event will be cancelled. We will disseminate the messages to the public via the media.
“Advice will be sought from the Hong Kong Mountaineering Union about whether the contest should continue if there is inclement weather when the competition is in progress.”
Ends/Wednesday, May 3, 2006