New Vision Arts Festival opens tonight
Scandinavia's legendary combo Secret Garden, plus two top pop singers from the Mainland, Ding Fei Fei and Ding Wei, opened the New Vision Arts Festival tonight (October 19) at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre.
Organised by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, the arts festival will run until November 21, showcasing a series of remarkable arts performances and events with East-West cultural integration enriched with modern Asian elements.
Officiating at the opening ceremony before the performance was the Secretary for Home Affairs, Dr Patrick Ho Chi-ping.
The opening concerts featuring Secret Garden with Ding Fei Fei and Ding Wei, were box-office hits. Local virtuoso Warren Mok also teamed up with the Ding sisters in the performances.
The festival boasts an array of programmes, including:
* Tan Dun and Hong Kong Sinfonietta's collaboration in "The Map" and "Paper Concerto".
* U Theatre of Taiwan's "Meeting with Vajrasattva".
* Theatre Vidy-Lausanne ETE (Switzerland), Theatre de la Ville - Paris (France) and Berliner Festwochen (Germany)'s co-production "Il n'y a plus de firmament (No More Heavens)".
* Sal Vanilla (Japan)'s "amplified".
* "Around the Musical World in 2 Nights" featuring Wu Tong, Todd Reynolds, David Cossin and Evan Ziporyn.
* Checkpoint Theatre (Singapore)'s Modern Chamber Opera "Opiume".
* Yamato: The drummers of Japan's "Tamashy -- Voices of the Heart".
* Edward Lam Dance Theatre's "The Great Entertainer".
* Mui Cheuk-yin Poetry.Dance Theatre: "lot.us" by Mui Cheuk-yin and Priscilla Leung.
* Yeung Wai-mei Solo Dance "Spiritual Girl".
* Theatre du Pif's "e never forgets".
* Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra's "Yan Huichang and Wang Yong in Dimensional Pursuits".
* Hong Kong Repertory Theatre's "Rotate 270 degrees".
As well as these performances, the New Vision Arts Festival also offers workshops, exhibitions, meet-the-artist sessions and outdoor performances.
Tickets priced from $100 to $380 are available at URBTIX outlets now. Half-price tickets are available for full-time students, senior citizens, people with disabilities and Comprehensive Social Security Assistance recipients. Group booking discounts of up to 20% are available.
Programme brochures are available at URBTIX outlets or at the website, http://www.newvisionfestival.gov.hk
For programme enquiries, call 2370 1044. Telephone reservations can be made on 2734 9009 and credit card telephone bookings on 2111 5999. Internet bookings can be made at http://www.urbtix.hk
Ends/Tuesday, October 19, 2004