New Vision Arts Festival 2012 opens
Combining thunderous drumming, swirling contemplative dance and elemental chanting to create a timeless spiritual journey, "Beyond Time" by U-Theatre of Taiwan kicked off the New Vision Arts Festival 2012 tonight (October 19) at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre Grand Theatre. Before the show, U-Theatre carried out a ritual performance, "A Journey towards Tranquility", in the foyer.
Organised by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, the New Vision Arts Festival 2012 is running from October 19 to November 17. The biennial New Vision Arts Festival has reached its 10-year mark this autumn, when it is once again presenting an array of innovative and outstanding Asian-focused performances that cross cultural and disciplinary borders.
Officiating at the opening ceremony before the performance was the Acting Secretary for Home Affairs, Ms Florence Hui.
U-Theatre, led by Artistic Director Liu Ruo-yu and Music Director Huang Chih-chun, draws on the inner truths of "dance/non-dance" and "one-stroke drumming" through restrained movements and impeccable percussion technique. Thunderous drumming is merged with swirling, contemplative dance and nomad singer Wang Cheng's elemental chanting, while renowned stage and lighting designer Lin Keh-hua turns the floor into a sea of light that stunningly reflects the performers. Together, these elements combine to create scenes that lie between the real and the virtual, creating a fourth dimension in the theatre and a new form of spiritual awakening for the senses.
The festival will also feature:
* "Limited States" and "A World Première Work" by Shen Wei Dance Arts (US) (Closing Programme);
* "Echoes of Dunhuang" by the Munich Chamber Orchestra (Germany) and Trey Lee;
* "NEITHER/DELUSIONS II" by phase7 performing . arts (Germany);
* "The Flight of the Jade Bird" by Mark Chan (Singapore);
* "The Sound of Folk Tales" by Dana Leong and Dave Liang (US);
* "FAKEST" by Wrecking Crew Orchestra (Japan);
* Wu Man (US) and Aboriginal Friends from Taiwan;
* "Two Dogs" by the National Theatre of China;
* "Thunderstorm" by Tang Shu-wing Theatre Studio;
* "O You Heavenly Creatures!" by Ho Bit Goon;
* "Lament of the Exile" by DanceArt Hong Kong; and
* "Ravel the Time Traveller" by the Hong Kong Sinfonietta.
Apart from performances, the festival will also offer the extension activities "Data Gaga" and "Music Beyond Borders", as well as an arts criticism mentorship programme, a seminar, exhibitions, talks, lecture demonstrations, free performances and meet-the-artist sessions. An exciting backstage tour and a master class will also be held.
Tickets for the New Vision Arts Festival 2012 are available now at URBTIX. Half-price tickets are available for full-time students, senior citizens aged 60 and above, people with disabilities and their minders, and Comprehensive Social Security Assistance recipients. Other booking discounts of up to 20 per cent are available.
Programme brochures are available at URBTIX outlets or at the website, www.newvisionfestival.gov.hk.
For programme enquiries, call 2370 1044. For telephone credit card bookings, call 2111 5999. Internet bookings can be made at www.urbtix.hk.
Ends/Friday, October 19, 2012
The Acting Secretary for Home Affairs, Ms Florence Hui, officiates at the opening ceremony of the New Vision Arts Festival 2012 tonight (October 19).