Officiating at the launching ceremony of the Olympic Live Site in Hong Kong for the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games in Sha Tin Park today (September 6), the Permanent Secretary for Home Affairs, Mrs Carrie Yau, called on members of the public to cheer for and to show their best wishes to the Games and participating disabled athletes via the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD)’s homepage or by visiting the Olympic Live Site in the coming weekends.
Tread on the heels of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, the Paralympic Games is open today until September 17 in Beijing. To complement the Paralympic Equestrian Events that will be held in Sha Tin, the LCSD will run the Olympic Live Site in Hong Kong for the Paralympic Games today and on September 7, 13 and 14. The Live Site will provide a variety of cultural, sports, and entertainment programmes to enhance the ambience of the Paralympic Games and encourage active public participation in related activities.
Speaking at the launching ceremony, Mrs Yau said that through the participation in multi-faceted activities at the Live Site, Hong Kong people would understand more on the sports for the disabled, thus fostering the spirit of a society for all. She invited members of the public to cheer for the disabled athletes, wishing them all the best in the Games.
Together with guests and participants, Mrs Yau joined a count-down and watched the opening ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games broadcast live on a giant TV screen.
The Olympic Live Site for the Paralympic Games features the following programmes:
(1) Giant TV Wall and Main Stage Performance Area: Broadcasts of Paralympic Games opening ceremony and competition events on a giant TV screen. Stage performances such as dancing, music, singing and sports demonstration by local performing groups, district organisations, homes for the elderly, institutes for the disabled and youth centres. Other performances in the Live Site include funny crown, walking on stilt, ball-playing and juggling.
(2) Entertainment and Activity Area: Games booths, wish-making corner, photo-taking corner that bear the theme of Paralympic Games.
(3) Exhibition Area: Exhibitions relating to the Paralympic Games, such as the Games’ background, information on the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games, so as to enhance public knowledge of the Paralympics.
(4) Fitness Corner: Various play-in activities, such as aerobic, dancing, hula hoop, shuttlecock to encourage public participation in sports.
(5) Information Corner: Information about the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games
The Olympic Live Site for the Paralympic Games will be opened from 2 to 6pm on September 7, 13 and 14.
To encourage active community participation in the Games, the LCSD has launched a Cheering Campaign with the slogan "Go! Go! China! Go! Go! Hong Kong! for the public to cheer for the Games and the athletes.
Primary and secondary schools throughout the territory have been invited to join the Cheering Campaign since it was launched by the LCSD in June. So far over 300 schools and 230,000 students have taken part in the campaign. They expressed their best wishes and support for the Games and the athletes by filling in cheering cards.
Members of the public can also show their support via the Voting Station on the LCSD’s webpage <www.lcsd.gov.hk> on the Olympic Live Site, where they can choose their favourite Paralympic competition events and cheer for Hong Kong disabled athletes.
They can also go to the Wish-making corner at the Live Site during the opening hours and dates to fill in the cheering cards in person. The LCSD will arrange to send the cheering cards with their best wishes to the athletes.
Ends/Saturday, September 6, 2008
The Permanent Secretary for Home Affairs, Mrs Carrie Yau, speaking at the launching ceremony of the Olympic Live Site in Hong Kong for the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games in Sha Tin Park this evening.
A performance, Kung Fu on wheel-chair, at the launching ceremony of the Olympic Live Site in Hong Kong for the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games in Sha Tin Park this evening.