World Cultures Festival 2011-Enchanting Arts of Asia opens
The world-renowned National Ballet of China launched the World Cultures Festival 2011-Enchanting Arts of Asia tonight (October 20) at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre, captivating audiences with its classic works and star dancers.
Presented by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, the festival runs from October 20 to November 20, showcasing a wide range of outstanding works from around the region, blending the traditional with the contemporary, and showcasing renowned performing arts groups and artists from the Asian region.
Officiating at the opening ceremony before the performance was the Permanent Secretary for Home Affairs, Mr Raymond Young.
The National Ballet of China is presenting three diverse programmes of ballet classics. Tonight's "Ballet Gala" featured excerpts from timeless masterpieces by Chinese and Western choreographers to showcase the company's half-century of amazing achievements. Breaking through the traditions of classical ballet by adding a contemporary feel and Chinese characteristics, "The Red Detachment of Women" on October 21 will provide the opportunity to enjoy the most popular Chinese revolutionary model ballet from the late 1960s. The all-time favourite "Swan Lake" on October 23 will blend immaculate ballet technique with the uniquely Chinese essence that helped to launch the company into the international spotlight.
The festival will also feature:
* "DESH" by Akram Khan (UK)
* Legend Lin Dance Theatre (Taiwan) in "Song of Pensive Beholding"
* Chae Hyang Soon Dance Company (Korea) in "Splendour of Korea"
* Hong Kong Dance Company's "Two Swallows - Ode to Wu Guanzhong"
* The Shanghai Yueju Opera House
* "Eitetsu Hayashi: Taiko Legend" (Japan)
* The concert "The Manganiyar Seduction" (India)
* Gong Tri Pitaka (Indonesia) in "Iridescent Balinese Gamelan and Dance"
* The concert "Celestial Songs"
* Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra's "Commemorating the Centennial of the 1911 Revolution: The World Is for All"
* Water puppetry by Thang Long Water Puppet Troupe (Vietnam)
* The Princess' Blackbox's "Our Best of Youth in Cambrian"
* Hong Kong Repertory Theatre's "Shed Skin"
Apart from performances, the festival also offers a series of extension activities including exhibitions, a masterclass, workshops, lecture demonstrations, talks, meet-the-artist sessions, foyer performances and an outdoor entertainment programme.
Tickets for the World Cultures Festival 2011-Enchanting Arts of Asia are available at URBTIX. Half-price tickets are available for full-time students, senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and their minders, and Comprehensive Social Security Assistance recipients. Group booking and package discounts of up to 20 per cent are available.
Programme brochures are available at URBTIX outlets or at the website, www.worldfestival.gov.hk.
For programme enquiries, call 2370 1044. For credit card telephone bookings, call 2111 5999. Internet bookings can be made at www.urbtix.hk.
Ends/Thursday, October 20, 2011