A new exhibition entitled "Calligraphy on Stone: Seal Carving in Hong Kong" opens today（February 2）at Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware, showing more than 60 Chinese seals fashioned by early Hong Kong seal carvers such as Deng Erya, Zhang Xiangning, Jiang Jinglun.
The "Calligraphy on Stone: Seal Carving in Hong Kong" exhibition features a collection donated to the museum by the K.S. Lo Foundation. The collection focuses on the early history of Hong Kong seal carving and the cultural interflow between Hong Kong and mainland China during the republican era, with works by Xu Sangeng, Yang Qiguang, Yi Ru, Li Yinsang, Jian Jinglun, Huang Yi, Deng Ju, Chen Yushan, Yu Zhongjia and others.
To coincide with the exhibition, Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware will organise a series of lectures and demonstrations on seal engraving. Well known seal carvers will be invited to introduce the main characteristics of the art and explain how to appreciate it, also giving demonstrations so that visitors can gain a deeper understanding of seal carving. "Briefing on Contemporary Seal Engraving – Selection of Theme", hosted by Pau Mo Ching will be held on February 19, and "Calligraphy and Seal Engraving", hosted by Chan Yung, will be held on March 19. Both lecture and demonstration sessions will take place from 3pm to 4.30pm at the museum.
In addition, education corners and hands-on exhibits with tactile/Braille captions for the blind have been set up in the gallery to cater to the needs of different visitors.
Located at 10 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, Hong Kong (inside Hong Kong Park), Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware is open from 10am to 5pm daily and is closed on the first three days of Chinese New Year as well as Tuesdays. Admission is free.
For more information of the exhibition and lectures, please visit the relevant website at http://hk.art.museum, or call 2869 0690 or 2869 6690.
Ends/Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Square seal with three characters carved in relief (carved by Chen Yushan in 1957).
Round seal with incised phoenix (carved by Jian Jinglun in 1935).