In view of the recent development of human swine influenza, the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) announced today (June 11) that, after consulting the Department of Health, it will temporarily close some of its children facilities and suspend activities organised for children from tomorrow (June 12) until June 25 to prevent the spread of the flu.
Facilities to be temporarily closed are:
- children's playrooms, Toy Library and Children's Multimedia Room at Central Library, Children's Discovery Gallery at the Hong Kong Heritage Museum.
Activities to be temporarily suspended are:
- sports, recreational and cultural activities organised for children.
- classes and activities organised by Music Office and participated by children.
The department will inform the affected persons.
In addition, cleansing and disinfecting arrangements have been stepped up in LCSD's leisure and cultural venues, including sports centres, parks and playgrounds, swimming pools, public libraries, museums, civic centres, performing venues, beaches, water sports centres, holiday camps, etc.
These measures include:
- Cleansing and disinfecting arrangements are enhanced for facilities which are frequently contacted by the public, such as carpets at the entrances of buildings, buttons of lifts, handrails, door handles, toilets and other facilities.
- Notices, posters and leaflets are displayed at venues to enhance the awareness of the public against the infection of the flu.
- Automatic disinfectant hand soap machines are installed at sports centres, holiday camps, squash centres, water sports centres, libraries, performing venues and museums. More equipment will be installed in sports centres with gymnasiums and major libraries with children's play rooms;
- Facilities contaminated with vomitus will be washed and disinfected with diluted bleach immediately;
- Staff will ensure that the flushing facilities in toilets are in good condition. Venue supervisors will inspect the venue more frequently to ensure sufficient provision of liquid soap and good condition of hand dryer (or sufficient provision of disposable hand towel);
- Cleansing and disinfection of all air-conditioning systems in the venues to ensure indoor ventilation;
- Masks will be provided on request;
- The frequency of park cleansing will be increased, especially the disinfection of children's play equipment. Facilities which can be contacted by the public will be disinfected with diluted bleach and washed with water;
- Cleansing of all interactive exhibits in museums will be stepped up.
For enquiries, the public may contact the Department's Hotline at 2414 5555.
Ends/Thursday, June 11, 2009