Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park covers an area of about 4.22 hectares and is located at Eastern Street North, Sai Ying Pun. Open to the public since 26 June 2010, the Park’s major facilities include one 7-a-side soccer pitch (artificial turf) and two basketball courts.
Chime TowerThe Chime Tower stands for the profound influence of the education the young Dr Sun received in Hong Kong on his revolutionary ideals. The tower roof is modeled on the design of the Main Building of University of Hong Kong. The five bronze bells symbolize the five powers enshrined in the Five-Power Constitution Dr Sun proclaimed in 1921, namely the power of executive, legislative, judicial, examination and control.
Four Desperado Courtyard"The Four Desperadoes" refer to Dr Sun Yat-sen and Messrs Chen Shaobai, Yau Lit and Yang Heling. In the final years of Qing Dynasty, they often met at Yang Yao Ji, a shop (an ancestral property of Yang) at 8 Gough Street in Central, Hong Kong. They talked about the current affairs of China, plans to overthrow the Manchu regime and the history of Taiping Rebellion. Their advocacy for revolution to found a republic went against the social norms. Revolution was synonymous with treason in the conservative society. Hence they earned the sobriquet "The Four Desperadoes".
When Dr Sun established the Guangzhou Military Government in 1921 (the 10th Year of the Republic of China), he often held meetings with Chen, Yau and Yang at Wenlan House on Guanyin Hill (now known as Yuexiu Hill). He also had the House renovated and renamed it “Four Desperado House” to commemorate their years at Yang Yau Ji.
To know more about The Four Desperadoes, please visit the Dr Sun Yat-sen Museum nearby.
Reflecting Pond Plaza and Cruciform Lights
The Reflecting Pond Plaza, feature porch and paving design in the Park symbolise Dr Sun Yat-sen's religious belief. While the cruciform lights and pond remind one of the time when he was baptised as a Christian in Hong Kong.
Children's Play Area
Dr Sun Yat-sen had his first encounter with Western culture and histories of revolution in 1883 when he studied at Diocesan Boys’ School and then at Central School (now Queen’s College) in Hong Kong. The covered walkways of the Children’s Play Area is modeled on the colonnade structures of Central School. Strolling down the walkways, one can get a feel of the campus where Dr Sun spent his early days.
One designated accessible parking space is available in the fee-charging car park.