Maritime Distress Measures
- If case of maritime distress and help is needed, keep calm, stay on the boat as far as practicable and raise and lower both arms at each side of the body slowly and repeatedly.
- If you are not able to get back on the boat, hold the boat as a floating support with one hand, and raise the other hand straight above the sea in a fist to signal for help.
- If a waterproof whistle is available, give hand signal and blow the whistle simultaneously in order to draw attention for help.
- If there is no other tool to produce any sound signal, cry out and beat the boat to call for help immediately.
- If you see anyone giving these hand signals, please inform the rescuers or, under safe circumstances, provide assistance as far as possible.