2023-24 Innovative Music Making: MO x e-Orch
Music Training．Ensemble Playing．Collaborative Creation and Performance
“Innovative Music Making: MO x e-Orch”, in collaboration with the Education University of Hong Kong (EdUHK), will return in the academic year 2023-24. This music training programme is curated by Dr. Leung Chi-hin, Assistant Professor of the EdUHK. Under the guidance of the professional e-Orch instructors and trainee-teachers from the EdUHK, students will form e-Orch (digital music orchestras), learn and create music together using tablets. After the training, the e-Orch members will showcase their collaborative e-Orch compositions and jointly perform with the Music Office’s instrumental ensembles of the new commissions and arranged works written for e-Orch and acoustic instruments in the finale concert.
|Period||October 2023 to July 2024|
|Target Participants||2 Primary schools (P4-6) / 2 Secondary schools (F1-3)|
|No. of Students||20 students / school|
|Programme Instructor||Professional e-Orch instructors and trainee-teachers from the EdUHK|
|Programme Fee||$10,000 / school|
Pamphlet (Chinese only)
|Application Deadline||2 June 2023|
|Acknowledgement of Application||By 7 June 2023, 5pm
If any school does not receive the Acknowledgement of Application by 7 June, please check with the Music Office before 5pm on this day.
|Online interview with schools
selected by lot
|26 to 30 June 2023|
|Result Announcement||By 14 July 2023|
|Payment Deadline||On or before 15 September 2023|
|Programme Period||October 2023 to July 2024|
|Finale Concert||7 July 2024|
The Music Office reserves the right to change the information and arrangement of the programme.
|Enquiries||2158 6470 / 3842 7776
|In collaboration with|
- To learn the basic musical knowledge including pitch, melody, rhythm, harmony etc.
- To develop the performance and ensemble skills through performing arranged/ commissioned repertories of e-Orch in ensemble training
- To get to know the application of different musical elements through music creation activities
- To form e-Orch and perform in the finale concert
- To enhance students’ performing experience and allow students to understand the timbres and playing techniques of acoustic instruments through arranging the joint performance of e-Orch and the Chinese/ Western instrumental ensembles of the Music Office
- Awards will be presented at the Finale Concert as encouragement
|October 2023 to January 2024||8 sessions
1.5 hrs/ session
|School campus||Learn solid musical knowledge, different musical instruments, timbres and musical styles through progressive ensemble performance exercises using tablets.|
|February to May 2024||8 sessions
1.5 hrs/ session
|School campus||Learn how to apply various musical elements and enjoy the joy of collaborative creation.|
|June 2024||4 sessions
1.5 hrs/ session
|School campus/ Music Office Music Centres||Form an e-Orch and participate in the joint rehearsals with the instrumental ensembles of the Music Office.|
|7 July 2024
|1 concert||Hong Kong City Hall||
The Music Office will notify the successful schools of the schedule and arrangements of the programme.
The Music Office reserves the right to change the programme and its relavant arrangements.
Deadline: 2 June 2023 (Fri)
- Complete the application form and submit via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (3104 1352).
- The Music Office will acknowledge the schools' applications by email. If any school does not receive the Acknowledgement of Application by 7 June (Wed), please check with the Music Office before 5pm on this day.
|School (For Instructor)||Each participating student|
|• Computer with internet access
• Projector and screen
• Wireless microphone with cover
• PA System with 3.5mm jack input
• 1-meter 3.5mm aux audio cable
|• iPad (with iPadOS 15 or later)
• Portable speaker (compatible with 3.5mm jack input)
• 3.5mm aux audio cable
• Music stand (non-foldable, for placing iPad and portable speaker)
If the programme is oversubscribed, selection will be made by ballot. Only selected schools will be invited to attend the online interview in late June. The schools should provide a brief overview of the school facilities and other required information during the interview. After the assessment of the teaching team of the Education University of Hong Kong, schools will be notified of the application results and the arrangement of the programme before 14 July (Fri).
Successful schools are required to pay the programme fee of $10,000 by 15 September (Fri) according to the payment details stated on the successful notification. All fees paid are non-refundable.
The following awards will be decided by the professional adjudication panel and presented in the Finale Concert as encouragement:
|e-Orch Performance Award||Original e-Orch Composition Award||Outstanding e-Orch Student Award|
|School with exceptional performance in the concert||Outstanding original e-Orch composition||Nominated by the programme instructors and the school music teachers for the outstanding e-Orch member|
Each participating student will be awarded a certificate of attendance as recognition of participation.
Points to note
- The Music Office shall have the absolute discretion to capture, make, take and use any photographs, sound recordings or films of the programme and to retain the right to edit, modify, publish and use any intellectual creation (including original works, arranged works, moving images or still images) made during the course of programmme for any lawful purposes, including but not limited to archive, advertising and promotion of the programme.
- The Music Office reserves the right to change the arrangement of trainings, rehearsals or concert due to contingency (e.g. inclement weather or epidemic situation).
- Should there be disputes, the Music Office reserves the right of the final decision.