Pavilion

 

The Pavilion is the oldest structure in the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens.  It was built with donations from the Parsee community in 1866.  While the cast-iron pillars and granite floor retain their original design, its pyramidal roof has been converted to a flat-topped feature after renovation.  Pavilions were commonly provided in gardens in Britain and its colonies between the mid- and late 19th century to provide a performance venue for musicians.  Likewise, the Pavilion was once the setting for public performances which the military band of the British Forces in Hong Kong used to give on a regular basis.

Photo taken in 1870-75
Photo taken in 1870-75

Pavilion
Top