St. Stephen’s Girls’ College was one of the first schools to devote itself to the education of girls in Hong Kong. Many of its students became prominent members of the local community and included some of the first female graduates of The University of Hong Kong. The college was originally located at 27 Caine Road, but it moved to its present location on Lyttelton Road in 1923. The foundation stone for the present premises was laid by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales on 7 April 1922. The new school building was officially opened by Lady Stubbs, wife of the then Governor, Sir Reginald Stubbs, on 25 January 1924.
The Main Building is a four-storey structure with four wings enclosing a school hall in the centre. The load-bearing walls consist of masonry work below the ground floor surmounted by brickwork. Its pitched roof rests on a timber truss system covered with Chinese pan-and-roll tiles. The design concept and layout of this building in the Classical style is of particular interest because of its similarities to a traditional Chinese courtyard house.