Overlooking Shek Pai Wan and Aberdeen, Hung Shing Temple on Ap Lei Chau is thought to have been built by the local community in the 38th year of the reign of Qianlong (1773) for the worship of Hung Shing, a popular deity believed to protect fishermen and maritime traders. It is the main temple on Ap Lei Chau and one of the very few traditional temples with exquisite craftsmanship that still retains its original fung shui setting (facing the sea) and its close association with the local community. The fung shui timber poles in the forecourt are also rare in Hong Kong.
The Hung Shing Festival on the 13th day of the second lunar month is still one of the major annual events on Ap Lei Chau. The management of the temple was taken over by the Chinese Temples Committee in 1930.
Hung Shing Temple is a Qing vernacular two-hall-three-bay building with a covered courtyard featuring a pavilion between the two halls and two side chambers on its left and right. Exquisite historic Shiwan ceramic figurines can also be found on the roof ridges of the entrance hall and the parapet walls of the chambers on both sides of the inner courtyard. There are two fung shui timber poles painted with a dragon pattern (known as ‘dragon poles’) in front of the temple; locals hope that the dragons will protect the area against the ferocious spirits of ‘tiger land’, the hill in Aberdeen where the Old Aberdeen Police Station is now situated.