1 - No. 1 Viewing Platform (Lyemun Barracks)
From here, you can view the Lyemun Barracks on the hillside of A Kung Ngam. Being part of the fortifications in Lyemun, it was the residence and training ground of the garrison.
2 - Central Battery
This battery, which began service in 1887, comprised a depression range finder, two gun emplacements and two underground magazines.
3 - Field Gun
The 25-pounder Field Gun Mark II displayed here is a movable artillery piece, specially designed for mobile operations.
4 - Drawbridge and Main Gate
The main entrance to the Redoubt was fronted by a main gate and a wooden bridge. The bridge was retractable, so it could deny access to intruders.
5 - Redoubt
Completed in 1887, the Redoubt is a rare example of Victorian fortifications in Hong Kong. The Redoubt had 14 casemates and an open courtyard.
6 - Redoubt Battery
This battery, which began service in 1887, comprised two gun emplacements, each with a 6-inch breech loading disappearing gun. It had the longest effective range of all the guns in Lyemun Fort.
7 - No. 2 Viewing Platform (Lyemun Pass)
From here, you can overlook Lyemun Pass. Situated at the eastern approach to Victoria Harbour, this sea channel held immense strategic significance.
8 - South Caponier
South Caponier, located on the Redoubt's south face, is a bomb-proof, partly-concealed defensive structure with firing slits on the walls.
9 - Ditch
The ditch is a channel around the Redoubt, designed to form a barrier to slow down or break up an enemy attack.
10 - North Caponier
North Caponier, located on the Redoubt's north face, is a bomb-proof, partly-concealed defensive structure with firing slits on the walls.
11 - Barrack Ruins
Built in the 1910s, it was originally the living quarters for the British Royal Artillery. It bears witness to the Japanese invasion of Hong Kong in 1941. The signs of shelling on the walls are still apparent.
12 - Anti-Aircraft Gun
The 40mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft Gun displayed here was a weapon against plane fighters.
13 - No. 3 Viewing Platform (Devil's Peak)
From here, you can view Devil's Peak across the sea. As Devil's Peak was of strategic importance, the British built batteries and a redoubt there. Some military ruins remain to this day.
14 - West Caponier
West Caponier, located on the Redoubt's west face, is a bomb-proof, partly-concealed defensive structure with firing slits on the walls. It bears witness to the Japanese invasion of Hong Kong in 1941. The signs of shelling on the walls are still apparent.
15 - West Battery
This battery, which began service in 1887, comprised a depression range finder, two gun emplacements and one underground magazine.
16 - Torpedo Installations
Built in 1892–1894, the Brennan Torpedo Station and its accompanying installations are scattered on the hill near the shore.
17 - Searchlights
To the east of the Torpedo Station, there were three searchlight positions, allowing the soldiers to locate enemy ships. They helped pick out the Japanese intruders during the 1941 Battle for Hong Kong.
18 - Pier
The pier was built as a crucial facility for transporting torpedoes and other supplies to the Torpedo Station. The Japanese troops went ashore at this pier and advanced to the Redoubt during the 1941 Battle for Hong Kong.
19 - Anchor
After the Second World War, this anchor was left lying in the naval shore station HMS Tamar in Admiralty.
20 - Pass Battery
The battery, which began service in 1892, was armed with two 6-pounder quick-firing Hotchkiss guns for defence against the possible intrusion by small, high-speed torpedo boats.
21 - Drawbridge and Stony Slope
There was a wooden bridge here which was retractable, so it could deny access to intruders. The stony slope may have been used to drag guns and ammunition up the slope.
22 - Proof Yard
The Proof Yard, built in 1940–1941, was where stocks of explosives were inspected and handled. Together with nearby warehouses, it formed one of the largest set of ammunition stores in Hong Kong.
23 - Armaments Display Area
Armaments of different types are displayed here, including three military vehicles and two heavy artillery pieces.
24 - Joseph Hughes Memorial
Joseph Hughes (1926–1946), of the British Royal Army Service Corps, died on duty and was posthumously awarded the George Cross.