Permanent exhibition: In Memory of Queen's Theatre
Exhibition opens on 20/3/2008
Venue: Lobby, G/F. Hong Kong Film Archive
Memory of the exciting times of visiting the grand cinema of the Queen's Theatre lingers in the minds of many for over half a century. But gone were those days of anxious anticipation for films like Gone with the Wind (1939) or A Streetcar Named Desire(1951) on the wide silver screen.
Located on Queen's Road Central in Central, Queen's Theatre, the successor of Hong Kong Theatre which opened in approximately 1911 on the same site, was established in 1924. Until its closure on 30 September 2007, this some 80 year-old theatre lasted through the colonial times and witnessed the changes of Hong Kong society.
The Hong Kong Film Archive is pleased to acquire as donation the 35mm Ashcraft carbon arc lamp projector from the theatre. This weighty archival item now sits in the Archive, allowing visitors to reminisce the Queen's with supplementary videos and photos.
Archival photo courtesy of Cheng Po-hung