The conditions under which permission for the loan will be granted are set out as follows:
- Applications for the loan would be limited to non-profit-making organisations. Applicants who co-present or co-organise the function should be of the same nature.
- The function should be cultural or educational in nature and should be in furtherance of film culture.
- The function should be open to the public.
- When more than one applicant request for the same film title, applications will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Prints loan will be restricted to films from the Archive's permanent collection which the conditions are suitable for screening and the films that the Archive holds at least two prints or negatives are available.
- Applicants are required to clear copyright and produce authorised documents from right holders for process of application. Due to limited print available for loan, applicants are advised to submit loan requests in writing by post or by fax well in advance. Requests submitted no more than one month before the first day of the loan period would not be accepted.
- Organisations that have not borrowed prints from the Archive are required to submit detail information on the organisation and the function and fill in an application checklist for Loan of Archival Prints for consideration of their ability to handle archival prints. Letter of reference from FIAF archive which fall under the same country of the organisations would be required before their request can be approved to guarantee that they will abide in full to the FIAF standards & rules in handling film prints.
- Prints will not be loaned to organisations using a platter projection system, or that build up prints onto larger reels in order to reduce the number of changeovers required. An undertaking will have to be signed for borrowing of archival prints.
- Applicants should bear all necessary transportation, customs clearance and tax, and insurance cost of both ways. For loan of prints from overseas film festivals/ archives/ institutions, collect and return of prints/ tapes should be on a door-to-door basis. Approved loan prints will be delivered one week in advance of the first day of the loan period and should be returned within one week after the end of the loan period in good condition. Applicants overseas should furnish a shipper account number for the shipment.
- Successful applicants will be required to settle the loan charges well in advance.
- All payment must be in H.K. dollars in the form of cheques or bankdrafts payable to "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region"("Govt. of HKSAR" in short) at least 6 working days before the first day of the loan. Direct bank transfers are not accepted. In order to avoid delay in international postal service, applicants are recommended to deliver the draft directly to the Archive office (50 Lei King Road, Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong) through professional carriers.
- Successful applicants are responsible for the safety and security of the loan prints from the time they are delivered to the time they are returned to the Archive or transshipped to another destination. The applicants are fully responsible for all shipping charges and insurance. In case of accidental damage to a print, a direct replacement cost together with 20% surcharge would be charged. The Archive reserves the right to suspend or terminate borrowing privileges to any organisation for any reason including but not limited to undue print damage, unauthorised use or duplication of borrowed prints.
- Acknowledgement to the "Hong Kong Film Archive, Leisure and Cultural Services Department" is required in all publicity materials.