Kowloon Park - Leisure and Cultural Services Department Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKTraditional ChineseSimplified Chinese Search Site Map Contact Us
Historical Background
How To Access
Outdoor Facilities
Indoor Facilities
Other Attractions
Bird Watching
Enquiries
Other Information
Layout Map
Other Parks
Leisure Services
Back to LCSD
 
Web Accessibility Conformance Statement
Kowloon Park
 

Historical Background

In the 1830s, some westerners found that Victoria Harbour was an ideal anchorage place for vessels. At that time, the site of the later Kowloon Park was an important military base over-looking the Harbour. In 1861, the British occupied Kowloon peninsula and named the base as Whitfield Barracks.

PhotoPhotoKowloon Park was officially opened on 24 June 1970 by the then Governor, Sir David Trench. In 1989, the park was redeveloped at a cost of $300 million, which was funded by the then Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club.

The park has a total area of 13.3 hectares, offering a full range of active and passive recreational facilities to the public. Due to topographical and other site constraints, the northern part of Kowloon Park is selected for active recreational area whereas the passive amenities area is mainly in the south.


2003| Important notices | Privacy policy Last revision date: 22 January, 2014