The Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) will hold Sport For All Day 2013 on August 4 (Sunday) to promote the habit of daily exercise. Members of the public can enjoy free recreation programmes at designated sports centres while various fee-charging leisure facilities will also be open to the public for free use on the day.
A spokesperson for the LCSD said today (July 11) that Sport For All Day 2013 is one of the highlight events of the "Vibrant Hong Kong" theme under the city-wide "Hong Kong: Our Home" Campaign. Sport For All Day this year has the slogan "Stay active. Exercise every day with your family." The event aims to promote various parent-child sports activities and encourages people to exercise with their family members, making sports and physical activities part of their daily life.
In order to promote the message of family sports, the LCSD has produced a new edition of Announcements in the Public Interest, which will be broadcast on television and radio from tomorrow onwards.
Free programmes provided in Sport For All Day 2013 include:
* Fitness Corner (physical fitness tests, warm-up and cool-down stretching exercises and aerobic dance workouts, etc, to be conducted and demonstrated by physiotherapists)
* Exercise Demonstrations (exercises for spinal health, towel exercises, fitness (multi-gym) and hula hoop fitness exercises, etc)
* Parent-child Sports Programmes (mini-sports games, social dance and badminton play-in, etc)
* Sports Play-in (badminton, windsurfing and rope skipping, etc)
Enrolment for these free programmes will commence on July 15 (Monday) at 8.30am at the respective LCSD District Leisure Services Offices in the 18 districts on a first-come, first-served basis. Each person can collect up to four admission tickets while a small portion of tickets will be reserved for walk-in participants on the event day. Details of the District Leisure Services Offices in the 18 districts are available in the Annex 1.
Another major attraction of Sport For All Day is to make the LCSD's fee-charging leisure facilities available for free use by members of the public on August 4. These facilities include:
* Indoor leisure facilities: badminton courts, tennis courts, basketball courts, netball courts, volleyball courts, squash courts, table tennis tables, American pool tables, billiard tables, carom tables, sport climbing walls, bowling greens, golf facilities, fitness rooms, activity rooms and dance rooms;
* Outdoor leisure facilities: tennis courts, tennis practice courts, bowling greens, batting cages, rope courses, sport climbing walls, archery ranges and golf facilities (not including camping facilities, sports grounds, and artificial and natural turf pitches);
* Public swimming pools (not including Wan Chai Swimming Pool); and
* Craft at water sports centres.
Bookings for the free use of the available land-based leisure facilities and craft at water sports centres on August 4 can be made at the Leisure Link booking counters at LCSD venues (except for self-service kiosks) from 9.30am on July 28 (Sunday) on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each person can only book one free session irrespective of the types of leisure facilities. No prior booking is required for the LCSD's swimming pool facilities. Interested users only have to line up at the entrance of the swimming pools for free admission on a first-come, first-served basis.
The LCSD has also invited the 18 District Councils, National Sports Associations and community sport organisations, as well as privately run sports clubs and health centres, to organise free activities and facilities for August 4 in support of the event. Organisations including District Sports Associations and tertiary institutions have proactively responded to the LCSD's appeal and will organise supporting recreation and sports programmes or open up their facilities for use by their members or teachers and students on the event day, offering more opportunities for members of the public to take part in sports and physical activities.
For details of Sport For All Day 2013, please refer to the designated webpage: www.lcsd.gov.hk/specials/sfad2013/en/index.php . For enquiries, please call 2414 5555.
Sport For All Day 2013 is co-organised with the Department of Health, the Hong Kong Jockey Club Sports Medicine and Health Sciences Centre, the Postgraduate Diploma/Master of Science in Sports Medicine and Health Science Alumni Association of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and the Physical Fitness Association of Hong Kong, China.
Ends/Thursday, July 11, 2013
Issued at HKT 16:10