LEISURE AND CULTURAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Non-Civil Service Contract Vacancies
(When dollars are quoted in this web page, they are Hong Kong dollars. About HK$7.8 = US$1.)
Seasonal Lifeguard (2013 Swimming Season)
HK$12,960 per month
The Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) is inviting applications for the post of Seasonal Lifeguard. The selected candidates will be required to perform lifesaving duties at any public swimming pools, beaches and water sports centres of the LCSD for the swimming season (from June to August) of 2013.
(1) possess a valid Pool Lifeguard Award or Beach Lifeguard Award or above issued by the Hong Kong Life Saving Society ;
(2) preferably possess a valid First Aid Certificate issued by the St. John Ambulance Association, Hong Kong Red Cross or Auxiliary Medical Service ;
(3) attain a level of proficiency in Chinese and English languages equivalent to Primary 6 standard;
(4) pass the swimming and trade tests; and
(5) pass an eyesight test and the Ishihara's Test. (An applicant's visual acuity should be at least 6/60, i.e. myopia not exceeding roughly 300 degrees. Wearing of plastic corrective lens and goggles with appropriate prescription while on duty is mandatory unless candidates have unaided good eyesight for lifesaving duties.)
Note: Candidates without supporting documents of the Chinese and English languages proficiency of (3) above may also apply. There will be assessments of Chinese and English languages proficiency during the interview.
(1) To ensure the safety of swimmers at swimming pools, beaches and water sports centres of this department;
(2) To rescue swimmers in distress;
(3) To maintain order; and
(4) To assist in cleaning work.
The conditioned working hours of a seasonal lifeguard are 45 hours net per week and seven and a half hours per day (excluding meal breaks). The incumbents are required to work shifts during the period from 6:15 am to 10:15 pm according to supervisors¡¦ arrangements or to work overtime. They are also required to work on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
Terms of Appointment:
Successful applicants will be appointed on non-civil service contract terms.
Rest days, statutory holidays (or substituted holidays), annual leave, maternity leave, sickness allowance, where appropriate, will be granted in line with the provisions of the Employment Ordinance. Upon satisfactory completion of a continuous contract for not less than three months and subject to satisfactory performance and conduct during the contract period, the seasonal lifeguard may be granted a gratuity as follows:
(1) For a continuous contract for three months or above but less than four months, the gratuity payable for the contract will be the sum which, when added to the Government's contribution as required by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (Cap 485), equals to 10% of the total basic salary of substantive office drawn during the period of contract; or
(2) For a continuous contract for four months or above, the gratuity payable for the first three months of the contract will be the sum which, when added to the Government's contribution as required by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (Cap 485), equals to 10% of the total basic salary of substantive office drawn during the first three months of the contract. The gratuity payable for the fourth and subsequent months of the contract will be the sum which, when added to the Government's contribution as required by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (Cap 485), equals to 15% of the total basic salary of substantive office drawn during the fourth and subsequent months of contract.
How to Apply:
Completed application forms together with photocopies of relevant lifesaving awards (Pool Lifeguard Award or Beach Lifeguard Award or above) should reach the enquiry address on or before the closing date for applications. Please specify on the envelope "Application for Seasonal Lifeguard".
Application forms [G.F. 340(Rev.6/2012)] are obtainable from any Public Enquiry Service Centres of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centres of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau's web site ( http://www.csb.gov.hk
Applications which are incomplete, late, or submitted by fax or email, or not duly signed, or not made in the prescribed form will not be considered. Applicants who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation in about four to six weeks from the closing date for applications. Those who are not invited for interview and trade tests may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Appointments and Establishment Unit, Leisure Services Branch, 7/F, Leisure and Cultural Services Headquarters, 1-3 Pai Tau Street, Sha Tin, New Territories, Hong Kong
2601 8050 or 2601 8040
Closing Date for Application:
Newspaper Advertised and Date(s):
Ming Pao¡G01/03/2013, 08/03/2013 & 15/03/2013
Apple Daily¡G02/03/2013 & 16/03/2013
Oriental Daily¡G02/03/2013 & 16/03/2013
Jiu Jik¡G 08/03/2013 & 12/03/2013
Job Market¡G01/03/2013, 08/03/2013 & 15/03/2013
Recruit¡G 12/03/2013 & 15/03/2013
Please refer to the details here