I | Annex II | Annex
Suggested Good Practices for Operational
Staff and Contractors
- Choose energy efficient electrical appliances.
- Do without unnecessary electrical appliances, e.g. electric pencil sharpener.
- Use power-saving light bulbs.
- Reduce lighting to minimum level required for illumination.
- Switch off the air-conditioner and lights on leaving the room.
- Use lead-free petrol.
- Switch off vehicles or machines when not in use.
- Save paper, print or photocopy only when necessary.
- Write on both sides of every piece of paper before throwing it away.
- Reuse envelopes.
- Use your own cup. Avoid throw-away paper cup and other utensils.
- Minimise copies of circulars (e.g. by circulating a copy to staff).
- Reuse loose minute jackets.
- Avoid use of fax leader pages.
- Minimise copies of flimsies and reference copies at meetings.
- Photocopy on both sides of every piece of paper as far as possible.
- Photocopy on the unused side of waste paper for internal use documents.
- Separate all recyclables, such as metal cans, plastics and waste paper and place the separated recyclables into recycling bins for local recyclers to collect.
- Use rechargeable batteries instead of disposable batteries.
- Recycle ink/toner cartridges of printers/fax machine/photocopiers.
- Reuse the pen shafts by using refills and use the greener clutch pencils and refills instead of traditional wooden pencils.
- For organising/attending events and meetings, invitations should be in electronic means as far as practicable, corsages should not be used and name badges should be reduced to an absolute minimum.
- The use of materials for events and functions should be carefully chosen to the effect that they can be reused.
- Do not smoke in public places.
- Save water. Turn off water taps when not in use. Repair leaked water taps as soon as possible.