in Hong Kong - New Territories
Tang Lung Chau Lighthouse was declared a monument
on 29 December 2000. It is situated on Tang Lung
Chau, a small island to the west of Hong Kong Island,
and is also commonly known as Kap Sing Lighthouse.
It was put into service on 29 April 1912 and is
one of the five surviving pre-war lighthouses in
Hong Kong. It is a skeletal steel tower of 11.8
metres high with a white lantern on top. The steel
tower and light apparatus were obtained from England.
The adjoining brick light keeper's house has a bedroom,
a kitchen, a latrine and a store room. Rainwater
was collected from the roof and diverted into an
underground tank for use as there was no spring
or fresh water supply on the island. The lighthouse
is now unmanned and automated. It is now under the
management of Marine Department.