in Hong Kong - New Territories
Fan Sin Temple, Fan Sin Kung or Fan Sin Miu in
Sheung Wun Yiu, Tai Po was declared a monument on
30 December 1999.
Fan Sin Temple is the main temple in the villages
of the Sheung Wun Yiu and Ha Wun Yiu and is the
only sample of this kind that exists in Hong Kong.
The construction date of the temple is uncertain
but a wooden plaque hanging at the main hall of
the temple was carved in the Geng-xu year of the
Qianlong reign of Qing Dynasty, indicating that
the temple has a history of over 200 years. It is
commonly believed that Fan Sin Temple was built
by the Ma clan to worship Fan Tai Sin Sze, the patron
saint of potters.
Its architecture is simple and functional, with
the exception of fine decorations at the entrance.
However, after a serious fire in mid 1970s, many
historic relics were destroyed. The calligraphy
and paintings above the entrance were repainted
during the renovation in 1976 after the fire. Windows
with iron frameworks were also installed on four
sides of the temple after World War II.
There exists a wooden plaque from 1970 and four
commemorative stone plaques recording the restorations
in 1897, 1925, 1964 and 1976 respectively. A further
restoration of the temple has recently been carried
out. It is now open to the public.
Fan Sin Temple, Sheung Wun Yiu, Tai Po
For visitors going to the Temple, they
may walk for 25 minutes from Tai Po Market Railway Station
or get on Green Minibus (GMB) No. 23K from Po Heung Street,