Situated to the northwest at the foot of Lung Shan,
Fanling, Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall is one of
the largest ancestral halls in Hong Kong. Evidence
suggest that the original building dates from 1525
to honour the founding ancestor, Tang Chung Ling
(1302-1387) and has since then been the main ancestral
hall of the Lung Yeuk Tau lineage. The whole building
is exquisitely decorated with fine wood carvings,
polychrome plaster mouldings, ceramic sculptures
and murals of auspicious Chinese motifs, fully reflecting
the superb craftsmanship of the olden days.
A major restoration was carried out in 1991 with
a generous donation from the Hong Kong Jockey Club
together with a modest contribution from the Government.
The project was completed in mid 1992 under the
supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office
and the Architectural Services Department. It was
declared a monument in 1997.
Tang Chung Ling Ancestral Hall, Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling