Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
search site map contact us

Declared Monuments in Hong Kong

Declared Monuments Hong Kong Island Kowloon New Territories Outlying Islands


Declared Monuments in Hong Kong -
New Territories

Floor Plan
Yi Tai Study Hall (Shui Tau Village, Kam Tin, Yuen Long)
Yi Tai Study Hall is situated at Shui Tau Village, Yuen Long. It was built by the Tang clan of Kam Tin who came to settle in this fertile plain as far back as the 11th century. According to local legends, Yi Tai Study Hall was built towards the end of Daoguang reign (1821-1850) to accommodate the two immortals, Man Cheong and Kwan Tai (literary and martial gods respectively). Both were originally worshipped in a fung shui pagoda erected nearby to boost scholarship but the pagoda was later demolished.

Subsequently, a group of 16 local scholar-gentry formed a society called the Tang Yi Tai Wui (The Tang Society of the Two Immortals) for the construction and operation of a new study hall which was named Yi Tai Study Hall, i.e. study hall of the two immortals. The building was built purely for use as a study hall and its architecture is therefore simple and functional. Restoration work was completed in 1994. The building is now open to the public.


Yi Tai Study Hall, Kam Tin, Yuen Long
address Shui Tau Tsuen, Kam Tin, Yuen Long (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer
Opening Hours

9am - 1pm & 2pm - 5pm daily
Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year
Figure : Transport
Kowloon Motor Bus
51 Tsuen Wan West Station - Sheung Tsuen (Circular)
54 Yuen Long (West) - Sheung Tsuen (Circular)

Green Minibus (GMB)
601 Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Road) - Kam Tin (Pak Wai Tsuen)
602 Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Road) - Kam Tin (Tai Kong Po)



The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.