Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us


Declared Monuments in Hong Kong


Declared Monuments Hong Kong Island Kowloon New Territories Outlying Islands
 

 

Declared Monuments in Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island

The Exterior of the Main Building, the University of Hong Kong (Pok Fu Lam Road)
The Main Building of The University of Hong Kong is the oldest structure on the campus, which was donated to the university by Sir Hormusjee Nawrojee Mody, a well-known Parsi businessman and philanthropist. Construction of the building started in 1910 and was completed in 1912. Following the outbreak of the Pacific War in December 1941, the Main Building was used as a temporary hospital. It was seriously damaged during the final stages of the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945), and university classes did not resume there until October 1946.

Classical in style, this well-proportioned, three-storey red-brick building supported by granite columns of the Ionic order is designed symmetrically around the central axis of the clock tower and features pairs of turrets at both ends of the principal facade. Pediments surmount the entrance portico and the elevations of the east and west wings.

 

  The Exterior of the Main Building, The University of Hong Kong
address
Pok Fu Lam Road (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer

Figure : Transport

 
MTR
HKU Station
 

 

The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.