in Hong Kong - Outlying Islands
Fan Lau Fort is located at the south-western tip of Lantau, overlooking a sea passage leading into the Pearl River Estuary. According to the Macau Gazetteer, the fort can be dated reliably to the 7th year of Yongzheng (1729), when it was recorded that two forts were constructed on Lantau. Fan Lau Fort was apparently one of them. Rectangular in shape, the fort measures 46m by 21m and its walls are built of semi-dressed stone and green bricks. It was believed that the fort was once occupied by pirates. However, after the surrender of pirates to the Qing government in 1810, the fort would have been retaken by government troops. It was probably abandoned around 1898 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.
Initial restoration work was undertaken in early 1985. This was followed by a large scale restoration and repair project in 1990 which also provided for the clearance of the surrounding area.
For visitors going
to Fan Lau, they may take the ferry from Central Ferry
Piers to Mui Wo and get on New Lantao Bus (Enquiries:
2984 9848) routes No. 1 or No. 2 to Shek Pik (or get
on bus routes No. 11 or No. 23 from Tung Chung Town
Centre to reach Shek Pik). Then it takes about 2 hours
to walk to Fan Lau via Kau Ling Chung from Shek Pik.