in Hong Kong - New Territories
Sam Tung Uk Village is a Hakka walled village restored
in 1987 and opened to the public as a museum of
the Leisure and Cultural Services Department. It
was built by the Chan clan in 1786. The Chan clan
moved from Guangdong in the 1750s, and settled in
Tsuen Wan, where they reclaimed land along the seashore
for cultivation. Chan Yam-shing, a clan leader,
first constructed three rows of village houses on
the site. His descendants later built annex houses
to the sides and at the back of the village house.
The family ancestral altar was placed in the main
hall lying on the central axis facing the entrance.
The four Chinese characters signifying 'Chan' Family
Ancestral Hall', were engraved on the granite lintel
above the door frame.
Sam Tung Uk Village, Tsuen Wan