The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre occupies the historic Blocks S61 and S62 of the former Whitfield Barracks at Kowloon Park. The two Blocks were built in circa 1910. Until 1967, the military lands were returned to the Government for redevelopment of leisure and cultural services. They were used by the Hong Kong Museum of History as its temporary premises from 1983 to 1998 until the new museum complex was built in Tsim Sha Tsui East. After restoration, the adoption of the historic military buildings to suit the complexities of modern facilities is used for the purposes of heritage education and publicity.