Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Tang Kwong U Ancestral Hall Shui Tau, Kam Tin, Yuen Long
Tang Kwong U Ancestral Hall, also known as Loi Shing Tong, is situated in Shui Tau, Kam Tin. It was built in the 40th year of the Kangxi reign (1701) during the Qing dynasty by Tang Tseung Luk, alias Tang Chik Kin, the 21st generation of the Tang clan, in commemoration of the 17th generation ancestor of the clan, Tang Kwong U, alias Tang Chung Fung. According to a stone tablet in the Ancestral Hall, it underwent renovation with donations from the Tang clansmen in the 47th year of the Qianlong reign (1782) during the Qing dynasty.
The Ancestral Hall is an example of Qing vernacular architecture with a two- hall-one-courtyard layout of three bays. There is a side chamber on both sides of the open courtyard. An ancestral altar is placed in the main bay of the rear hall for the worship of the past generations of the Tang ancestors. The walls of the building are built of green bricks, and the tiled pitched roof is constructed with traditional timber structure. The unique plaster mouldings on the facade and the elaborate wood carvings inside the building are still preserved.
Tang Kwong U Ancestral Hall was converted into a shop and later a factory in the past. Full restoration to the ancestral hall was completed in 1996 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.
No. 32, Shui Tau, Kam Tin, Yuen Long, New Territories (Plan)
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 9am – 1pm & 2pm – 5pm
Closed on Monday to Friday (except public holidays) and the first three days of the Chinese New Year
Kowloon Motor Bus
||Yuen Long (West) – Sheung Tsuen (Circular)
||Yuen Long (West) – Tai Po Market Station
||Yuen Long (Fung Cheong Road) – Sheung Shui
||Pat Heung Road – Sheung Tsuen (Circular)
Green Minibus (GMB)
||Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Road) – Pak Wai Tsuen
||Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Road) – Tai Kong Po
Tang Kwong U Ancestral Hall, Kam Tin, Yuen Long will be fully closed from from 7 to 15 January 2017 and from 18 February to 2 April 2017 for repair works. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.
End of page