Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us
About Us | What's New | News Archive | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Heritage Trails | Education and Publicity | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Tung Wah Museum Waterloo Road, Yau Ma Tei
Tung Wah Museum was originally the Main Hall Building of Kwong Wah Hospital, the first hospital founded in Kowloon and the New Territories to provide medical services to the public.
The founding of the Kwong Wah Hospital was initiated by the directors of the Tung Wah Hospital and the community leaders of Kowloon. The new hospital was opened in 1911 as a Kowloon branch of the Tung Wah Hospital. In 1931, Tung Wah Hospital, Kwong Wah Hospital and Tung Wah Eastern Hospital were amalgamated into the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (TWGHs). In 1958, Kwong Wah Hospital underwent complete reconstruction with only the Main Hall Building being preserved. In 1970, the centenary year of the TWGHs, the Main Hall Building was converted into the Tung Wah Museum for displaying the historic relics and housing the invaluable archives of the TWGHs. The opening ceremony of the Museum was officiated by Sir Kwan Cho Yiu on 15 January 1971, and the Museum has been opened to the public since 1993.
The Museum is characterised by a combination of Chinese and Western architectural features. The Chinese characteristics of the Museum are clearly demonstrated by the ancestral hall setting and the Chinese decorations at the front elevation. Exquisite wood carvings are found on the floral and auspicious motifs of the eaves board as well as the truss system and camel’s humps along the verandah. The pitched roof is laid with green glazed tiles whilst the ridge, which was reconstructed in 1991, imitating the original one in 1910.
The Western architectural elements are mainly found on the side and rear elevations of the building. Bull’s eye windows and segmental arched windows with keystones are used. Inside the main hall, the four arched doorways leading to the exhibition rooms are designed with western-style fanlights. While the roof of the main hall is supported by traditional Chinese purlins and truss system, queen post trusses are found at the side chambers.
Kwong Wah Hospital, 25 Waterloo Road, Kowloon (Plan)
Monday to Saturday: 10:00am to 6:00pm Closed on Sunday and public holidays
| Exit A2, Yau Ma Tei Station
Kowloon Motor Bus
|| Star Ferry - Lok Fu
|| Star Ferry - Kowloon Railway Station
|| Choi Wan - Choi Wan
|| Yiu On - Hung Hom Railway Station
|| Broadcast Drive - Tsim Sha Tsui East
|| Sheung Shui - Kowloon Railway Station
|| Fu Heng - Tsim Sha Tsui (Canton Road)
Green Minibus (GMB)
||Tai Kok Tsui (Cherry Street) – Mong Kok East Station (Circular Route)
Kowloon Station – Mong Kok (Luen Wan Street) (Circular Route)
The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.
End of page