Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area

Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

New Territories

Yan Tun Kong Study Hall at Hang Tau Tsuen, Ping Shan, Yuen Long

Yan Tun Kong Study Hall, alias “Yin Yik Tong” is a two-hall building. The exact year of its construction cannot be ascertained. According to the indigenous villagers, it was originally built by the descendants of the Tang clan of Ping Shan to commemorate their prominent fourteenth to sixteenth generation ancestors, namely Tang Wai-tak (alias Yan-shaw), Tang Ji-fong (alias Tun-fuk) and Tang Fung (alias Ming-kong). The engraved characters of “re-carved in the ninth year of Tongzhi reign” (i.e. 1870) on the wooden plaque hanging over the main hall suggest that the study hall underwent large-scale renovation in 1870.

The study hall was built to educate the clan youngsters so as to prepare them for the Imperial Civil Service Examinations. Since most instructors recruited came from Guangzhou, the side rooms in the study hall were provided as accommodation for them. With the abolition of the Imperial Civil Service Examination, the study hall was converted into a teaching venue for village children. Its function as a study hall gradually faded with the founding of Tat Tak School in Ping Shan in the 1930s.

Apart from teaching purposes, Yan Tun Kong Study Hall is also serving as an ancestral hall. Soul tablets commemorating ancestors of the Tang clan in Hang Tau Tsuen are worshipped at the main altar in the middle hall. Nowadays, the Tang descendants would still gather in the study hall to hold traditional clan festivals and activities, such as the ancestor worship of the Spring and Autumn Equinox, wedding and celebrations, etc.

The Yan Tun Kong Study Hall was declared as monument on 19 October 2009.

Yan Tun Kong Study Hall


Hang Tau Tsuen, Ping Shan, Yuen Long (Plan)

Opening Hours

9am - 1pm & 2pm - 5pm daily
Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year


Tin Shui Wai Station

MTR Light Rail
705 Tin Shui Wai Circular (Tin Shui Wai Station)
706 Tin Shui Wai Circular (Tin Shui Wai Station)
751 Yao Oi - Tin Yat (Tin Shui Wai Station)

MTR Light Rail Feeder Bus
K65 Yuen Long East - Lau Fau Shan (via Ping Ha Road)

Kowloon Motor Bus
53 Yuen Long (East) – Tsuen Wan West Station
69M Tin Shui Wai Town Centre– Kwai Fong Station
69X Tin Shui Estate – Jordan (To Wah Road)
269B Tin Shui Wai Town Centre – Hung Hom Ferry Concourse
269C Tin Shui Wai Town Centre – Kwun Tong Ferry
269D Tin Fu – Lek Yuen
276 Tin Tze – Sheung Shui
276A Tin Heng Estate – Sheung Shui (Tai Ping )

Green Minibus (GMB)
33 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Ha Pak Nai (via Ping Ha Road)
34 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Lau Fau Shan (via Ping Ha Road)
35 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Sha Kiu (Tsim Bei Tsui)

The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.


2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 19 October, 2016

End of page