Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Commenced in 1923, the construction of Shing Mun Reservoir took 14 years to complete. The massive scale of the project meant that water could be supplied to cater to the needs of the residents of Kowloon Peninsula, but also to relieve the pressure on demand on densely populated Hong Kong Island via the cross-harbour mains, and this made it the largest reservoir of the pre-war period to provide water for both sides of the harbour.
The memorial stones at Shing Mun Reservoir and Tai Tam Tuk Reservoir are the only two memorial stones that were erected to mark the completion of the two largest reservoirs in the New Territories and on Hong Kong Island respectively built before the Second World War.
Shing Mun Reservoir
Green Minibus (GMB)
82 Tsuen Wan (Shiu Wo Street) - Shing Mun Reservoir
94S Tsuen Wan Nina Tower - Shing Mun Reservoir (operated on Sundays & Public Holidays Only)
For more details concerning the historic waterworks facilities, please refer to the following website
Water Supplies Department
End of page