Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Cheung Ancestral Hall (Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long)
The Cheung Ancestral Hall, also known as Wah Fung Tong, was mainly built by Cheung Nam-yat, Cheung Shui-yat Cheung Chi-kwong and Cheung Yiu-fong of the 22nd generation of the Cheung clan of Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long in the 20th year of Jiaqing reign (1815), Qing dynasty. The ancestral hall then served as a centre for communal gatherings and ancestral worship.
The Cheung clan attached great importance to the education of their children. A number of study halls were built in Shan Ha Tsuen for educating both boys and girls. The Cheung Ancestral Hall was also used as Wah Fung School between the 1930s and 1950s until the school was relocated to a new school building near Lam Hau Tsuen in 1958.
The Cheung Ancestral Hall is a traditional two-hall grey brick structure with an open courtyard in between. The two side chambers between the two halls were used as kitchen and storage space respectively. An altar is installed at the rear hall where ancestral tablets are placed. At the top shelf of the altar is the soul tablet of Cheung Gau-ling, a prime minister of the Tang dynasty, who is commonly recognized by the Cheung clan of both Shan Ha Tsuen and Dongguan as the pioneer ancestor. Combining splendour with solemnity, the altar is elaborately decorated with fine wood carvings of “The Eight Immortals”, which reflect the superb craftsmanship of the old days.
Major restoration of the Cheung Ancestral Hall was carried out in 1999 and was under the supervision of the Architectural Services Department and the Antiquities and Monuments Office.
The Cheung Ancestral Hall was declared a monument on 30 December 1999.
Cheung Ancestral Hall
Shan Ha Tsuen, Yuen Long (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer
9:00am - 1:00pm & 2:00pm - 5:00pm daily.
Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first 3 days of the Lunar New Year.
For visitors going to Cheung Ancestral Hall, they may take the following bus routes to Fung Cheung Road, Yuen Long and get on Green Minibus (GMB) No. 604 to Shan Ha Tsuen.
Public transport to Fung Cheung Road, Yuen Long:
Kowloon Motor Bus
53 Tsuen Wan (Nina Tower) - Yuen Long (East) Bus Terminus
268B Hung Hom Ferry Concourse – Long Ping Railway Station
268C Kwun Tong Ferry Pier - Long Ping Railway Station
End of page