Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Cheung Shan Monastery (Ping Che, Fanling)
Situated at Miu Keng in Ping Che, this Monastery was formerly called Cheung Sang Nunnery, and was probably first constructed in 1789 as a joint effort of six villages in Ta Kwu Ling area, namely Loi Tung, Man Uk Pin, and the alliance of Ping Yuen Hap Heung which consisted of Ping Yeung, Nga Yui Ha, Wo Keng Shan and Ping Che. The Buddha, Kwun Yum and Tei Chong Wong (a Bodhisattva) were all worshipped in the temple.
Since Miu Keng was a halfway point of the route to Shenzhen via Sha Tau Kok in the past, the temple was once a resting place to provide services, including free tea to wayfarers.
The existing two - hall structure was believed to have been fully rebuilt in the 7th year of Tongzhi reign (1868), as recorded in a wooden plaque inside the temple. The temple was declared a monument in 1998.
Cheung Shan Monastery
Ping Che, Fanling (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer
9:00am - 1:00pm & 2:00pm - 5:00pm daily.
Closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first 3 days of the Lunar New Year.
Green Minibus (GMB)
56K Fanling Station - Luk Keng (Get off the cab at the entrance of Wo Keng Shan Road and walk for about 15 minutes to the Monastery)
Kowloon Motor Bus
78K Sheung Shui Bus Terminus - Sha Tau Kok (Get off the bus at Chun Yiu stop near the entrance of Wo Keng Shan Road and walk for about 15 minutes)
End of page