Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
The Exterior of Hung Hing Ying Building, The University of Hong Kong (Pok Fu Lam Road)
Built with financial assistance from Sir Paul Chater and Professor G. P. Jordan among others, this building was originally designed to house the student union and was officially opened by the then Governor, Sir Reginald Stubbs, in February 1919. It was temporarily used by the Registry after the Second World War, was later converted into the Senior Common Room in 1974 and housed the Department of Music from 1989 to 2012. The building was named in honour of Mr Hung Hing-ying in 1986 in recognition of his family’s donations to the university.
The two-storey Classic Revival red-brick building has an impressive rotunda at the centre and two rectangular blocks projecting on each side as wings, each of which has a tall chimney stack on the south elevation and colonnaded verandahs on the north elevation.
The Exterior of Hung Hing Ying Building, The University of Hong Kong
Pok Fu Lam Road (Plan)
End of page