Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Entrance Tower of Ma Wat Wai (Ma Wat Wai, Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling)
Ma Wat Wai was built by the Tang clan during the Qianlong reign (1736-1795) of the Qing dynasty. It is one of the renowned Five Wais (walled villages) and Six Tsuens (villages) in the area of Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling.
Ma Wat Wai was originally a walled village with brick walls constructed on the four sides and a watch tower on each corner. However, owing to past developments, most of the walls and all four corner towers were demolished, leaving only this very historic entrance tower and part of the enclosing walls. A red sandstone lintel is engraved with two Chinese characters, denoting a place of verdancy.
Full restoration of the Entrance Tower of Ma Wat Wai was undertaken in 1995 under the supervision of the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department.
Entrance Tower of Ma Wat Wai
Ma Wat Wai, Lung Yeuk Tau, Fanling (Plan)
Green Minibus (GMB)
54K Fanling Station - Lung Yeuk Tau (Circular)
56K Fanling Station (via Siu Hang Tsuen and San Wai) - Luk Keng
End of page