Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD



Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

Hong Kong Island

The Exterior of the Main Building, The Helena May (35 Garden Road, Central)

The Helena May was built in 1914 and officially opened on 12 September 1916. It was originally used as a hostel for single working women of European origin. However, since 1985 women of all nationalities have been accepted as residents. Apart from quarters, the Main Building also comprises a library, a reading room and some classrooms. After several renovations, the Main Building was upgraded to provide 28 bedrooms. During the Japanese Occupation Period, all the furniture in the Main Building and the books in the library were lost. After World War II, the building was reopened in 1946 to provide accommodation for working women.

The Exterior of the Main Building, The Helena May

Address

35 Garden Road, Central (Plan)


Transport

MTR
Central Station


The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.

Top

2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 31 January, 2013

End of page