Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Yi Tai Study Hall (Shui Tau Village, Kam Tin, Yuen Long)
Yi Tai Study Hall is situated at Shui Tau Village, Yuen Long. It was built by the Tang clan of Kam Tin who came to settle in this fertile plain as far back as the 11th century. According to local legends, Yi Tai Study Hall was built towards the end of Daoguang reign (1821-1850) to accommodate the two immortals, Man Cheong and Kwan Tai (literary and martial gods respectively). Both were originally worshipped in a fung shui pagoda erected nearby to boost scholarship but the pagoda was later demolished.
Subsequently, a group of 16 local scholar-gentry formed a society called the Tang Yi Tai Wui (The Tang Society of the Two Immortals) for the construction and operation of a new study hall which was named Yi Tai Study Hall, i.e. study hall of the two immortals. The building was built purely for use as a study hall and its architecture is therefore simple and functional. Restoration work was completed in 1994. The building is now open to the public.
Yi Tai Study Hall
Shui Tau Tsuen, Kam Tin, Yuen Long (Plan)
Virtual Heritage Explorer
9:00am – 1:00pm & 2:00pm – 5:00pm daily.
Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and the first three days of the Lunar New Year.
Kowloon Motor Bus
51 Tsuen Wan West Railway Station - Kam Sheung Road Railway Station
54 Yuen Long (West) - Sheung Tsuen
Green Minibus (GMB)
601 Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Street) - Kam Tin (Pak Wai Tsuen)
602 Yuen Long (Fung Cheung Street) - Kam Tin (Tai Kong Po)
Yi Tai Study Hall will be partially closed from 29 September to 15 November 2014 for repair works. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.
End of page