Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area



Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

Kowloon

Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower (Tsim Sha Tsui)

The Kowloon-Canton Railway (British Section) commenced operations on 1 October 1910. The construction of the terminus in Tsim Sha Tsui started in 1913; the clock tower was completed in 1915 as part of the complex, and the whole terminus was opened on 28 March 1916. Built with red bricks and granite in the Edwardian Classical Revival style, the clock tower is 44 metres high and surmounted by a 7-metre lightning rod. The upper part of the tower is an octagonal domed turret built of red brickwork that contrasts with the white-painted classical features of scroll-shaped buttresses, columns and cornices. The main terminus building was demolished in 1978; only the clock tower was left, and it has continued to stand as a landmark in Hong Kong.

Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower

Address

Tsim Sha Tsui (Plan)

Transport

MTR
Tsim Sha Tsui Station

The "Star" Ferry
Central - Tsim Sha Tsui
Wan Chai - Tsim Sha Tsui


The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.

Top

2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 10 January, 2017

End of page