Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
About Us | What's New | News Archive | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Heritage Trails | Education and Publicity | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
Western Market (323 Des Voeux Road Central, Sheung Wan)
Western Market consisted originally of two separate blocks. The South Block at Queen's Road Central was built in 1858 and demolished in 1980. The remaining North Block, smaller and more compact in design, was built in 1906. It is in Edwardian style highlighted with "bandaged" brickwork on the four corner towers.
When the former Urban Council's market facilities came into operation in 1989, the market building became vacant and was later converted into a traditional trades, arts and crafts centre. It is now managed by the Urban Renewal Authority.
10:00am –12:00 m.n. daily.
323 Des Voeux Road Central, Sheung Wan (Plan)
Sheung Wan Station
End of page