Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
The former French Mission Building
The former French Mission Building on Battery Path, Central, was built in 1917 by the French Society of Foreign Missions as its Procure of Hong Kong. The building was used briefly by the Government before the fall of Hong Kong in 1941. Immediately after the World War II, it was made the temporary headquarters of the Provisional Hong Kong Government and was later bought by the Government from the Society in 1953. The building was then occupied successively by the Education Department, Victoria District Court, Supreme Court and the Information Services Department. It housed the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal between 1997 and 2015.
The three-storey building with a basement is constructed in granite and red bricks in Neo-classical style and belongs to the Edwardian period. A chapel is incorporated in the north-west corner with its cupola projecting above the roof. It has undergone modifications after the World War II but many historic architectural features can still be found in the building. For instance, the ground-floor hall with ornate columns, wooden staircase, vaulted ceiling and the well-proportioned internal courtyard qualify the building as one of the finest pieces of historical architecture in Hong Kong.
Former French Mission Building
1 Battery Path, Central (Plan)
End of page