Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
Flagstaff House (Cotton Tree Drive, Central)
Commenced in 1844 and completed in 1846, Flagstaff House is the oldest surviving Western building in Hong Kong. Originally known as Headquarters House as it accommodated Major-General George Charles D’Aguilar. The building was renamed Flagstaff House around 1932, but continued to be used as the office and residence of the Commander of the British Forces until 1978, with the exception of a short hiatus when it was occupied by Japanese admirals during the Japanese Occupation (1941-1945).
The two-storey building features a Greek Revival style adapted to local climatic conditions with deep verandahs. Renovated several times in its lifetime, it was restored as far as possible to its 19th century appearance after it was taken over by the former Urban Council in 1981 and converted into the Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware, which opened to the public in 1984.
Cotton Tree Drive, Central (Plan)
Please browse the following website for the opening hours of Flagstaff Museum of Tea Ware:
End of page