Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]

About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD



Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands

Outlying Islands

Tung Chung Battery (Tung Chung, Lantau Island)

According to the Guangdong Annals, two military forts were built in the 22nd year of Jiaqing reign (1817) at the foot of the 'Rocky Lion Hill' at Tung Chung, Lantau Island. In 1980, the remains of a battery were discovered on a hill slope facing the sea near Tung Chung Pier. After clearing the dense undergrowth, an L-shaped wall with a platform at the corner, probably for gun emplacements, was revealed. There is little doubt that this ruin is one of the two forts built in 1817 as mentioned in the Guangdong Annals. Although some restoration has been carried out, the battery remains to be studied in greater detail.

Tung Chung Battery

Address

Tung Chung, Lantau Island (Plan)

Transport

New Lantao Bus
3M Tung Chung Town Centre/Tung Chung Old Pier - Mui Wo
11 Tung Chung Town Centre - Tai O
34 Tung Chung Town Centre - Shek Mun Kap

 


The above information is for reference only, and is subject to change in accordance with the announcement of relevant organizations.

Top

2004 © | Important notices | Privacy policy | Accessibility | Last revision date: 31 January, 2013

End of page