Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area | Back to Cultural Services | Back to LCSD
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Tat Tak Communal Hall
Tat Tak Communal Hall is the only remaining purpose-built communal hall in Hong Kong which served as an assembling cum worshipping place for a joint village alliance and a management office of an open market.
The communal hall was built in 1857 by Tang Fan-yau, a gentry of Ping Shan, and his clansmen as an assembling place for village guards and members of Tat Tak Alliance, as well as the management office of Ping Shan Shi.
Tat Tak Communal Hall is also one of the few remaining sites in direct connection with the anti-British resistance in the New Territories in 1899. It is said that a public notice calling for support to the armed resistance was issued in Ping Shan area after a meeting had been held at Tat Tak Communal Hall on 28 March 1899.
As a venue for holding meetings, Tat Tak Communal Hall was built in a simple but functional design. The communal hall was originally a two-hall and three-bay structure and was later expanded with the addition of Hall of Lonesome Consolation and Hall of Bravery on its left and right in 1866. The building is constructed of green bricks with pitched roofs and granite blocks as the lower course.Phase I restoration works for Tat Tak Communal Hall was conducted by the Antiquities and Monuments Office in 2013. Phase II restoration works for the communal hall will be arranged in 2015 after the completion of improvement works to the slope behind the communal hall. The whole restoration project is expected to be completed in 2016. Tat Tak Communal Hall will be open for public after the full restoration.
Ping Shan, Yuen Long, New Territories (Plan)
Tin Shui Wai Station
MTR Light Rail
705 Tin Shui Wai Circular (Tin Shui Wai Station)
706 Tin Shui Wai Circular (Tin Shui Wai Station)
751 Yao Oi - Tin Yat (Tin Shui Wai Station)
MTR Light Rail Feeder Bus
K65 Yuen Long East - Lau Fau Shan (via Ping Ha Road)
Kowloon Motor Bus
53 Yuen Long (East) B/T – Tsuen Wan West Station Public Transport Interchange
69M Tin Shui Estate – Kwai Fong Railway Station B/T
69X Tin Shui Estate – Jordan (To Wah Road)
264M Tin Yan Estate – Tsing Yi Railway Station B/T
269B Tin Shui Wai Town Centre B/T – Hung Hom Ferry Concourse
269C Tin Shui Wai Town Centre B/T – Kwun Tong Ferry B/T
269D Tin Fu – Lek Yuen B/T
276 Tin Tze B/T – Sheung Shui B/T
276A Tin Heng Estate B/T – Tai Ping
Green Minibus (GMB)
33 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Ha Pak Nai (via Ping Ha Road)
34 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Lau Fau Shan (via Ping Ha Road)
35 Yuen Long (Tai Fung Street) - Sha Kiu (Tsim Bei Tsui)
End of page