Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office | Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHK | Graphical Mode | Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese | Search | Site Map | Contact Us [ Size 1 | Size 2 | Size 3 ]
Main | About Us | What's New | Archaeology | Built Heritage | Declared Monuments | Heritage Impact Assessment | Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre | Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre | Heritage Trails | Docent Services| Wun Yiu Exhibition | Online Exhibition | Friends of Heritage | Young Friends of Heritage | FAQ | Links | Research Resources and Reports | Download Area
Declared Monuments > Declared Monuments | Hong Kong Island | Kowloon | New Territories | Outlying Islands
Hong Kong Island
Unveiled on 24 May 1923 by the then Governor Sir Edward Stubbs, the Cenotaph is the earliest memorial formally constructed to commemorate the dead of the First World War in Hong Kong.
The Cenotaph was initially inscribed with the words ‘The Glorious Dead’ and ‘1914-1918’, the years of the First World War. The years ‘1939-1945’ were added later to honour victims of the Second World War. In the 1980s, eight Chinese characters, ‘英魂不朽 浩氣長存’, meaning ‘May their martyred souls be immortal, and their noble spirits endure’, were carved on one side of the Cenotaph to match the inscription ‘The Glorious Dead’ and make it clear that the monument commemorates all who died in the wars, especially those who fell in the defence of Hong Kong. Commemorative activities are held by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and other relevant associations at the Cenotaph every year.
Central, Hong Kong (Plan)
End of page