Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us



Heritage Trails


 
AB [To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Central Route The Sheung Wan Route]
 

Enlarge Map


Original Site of the Mountain Lodge and Lugard Road
Mount Austin Road, the Peak and Lugard Road

This site was a summer residence for the Governor of Hong Kong since 1902. It replaced the former lodge situated slightly below. The earlier lodge was transformed from a sanatorium in 1867 and was demolished after being destructed by two typhoons. The new lodge was first designed in 1892 by Francis Cooper, the Director of Public Works, but the then Governor, Sir Henry Blake disliked the proposal and appointed Palmer & Turner to redesign it. By 1920, the lodge was rarely used and became deteriorated. It was demolished after World War II, leaving the granite foundations and the Gate Lodge. The whole site was later redeveloped as a park for public use. A marking stone for the lodge was rediscovered in 1978, and was then placed at the northeastern corner of the former site.

There are some interesting private houses on Lugard Road, showing a more historic architectural style ranging from turn-of-the-20th century Scottish Baronial to Art Deco and Bauhaus style of the 1930s to 1950s.

Original Site of the Mountain Lodge and Lugard Road
(c. 1903)

Original Site of the Mountain Lodge and Lugard Road
Back to Map


Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme