Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
A A A
search site map contact us



Heritage Trails


 
AB [To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Central Route The Sheung Wan Route]
 

Enlarge Map


Main Building of the University of Hong Kong
Pok Fu Lam Road

The Main Building, the oldest structure in the University of Hong Kong, was a gift from Sir H. N. Mody. Designed by Messrs Leigh & Orange and built between 1910 and 1912, it originally comprised of two courtyards conceived in the Post-Renaissance style in red brick and granite. The main elevation is articulated by four turrets with a central clock tower (a gift from Sir Paul Chater in 1930). Dr Sun Yat-sen visited the University in 1923 to deliver a speech and took photo with students and staff. Two courtyards were added in the south in 1952 and one floor in the end block in 1958. It was originally used as classrooms and laboratories for the Faculties of Medicine and Engineering and is now home of various departments within the Faculty of Arts. The central Great Hall is named after Mr Loke Yew, a benefactor of the University in its early years. The Main Building became a declared monument in 1984. This historic site is now marked by the Dr Sun Yat-sen Historical Trail.

* This building is not open to the public

Hung Hing Ying Building of the University of Hong Kong
Back to Map


Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme