Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
search site map contact us

Heritage Trails


Central and Western Heritage Trail

Western District and the Peak Route
[To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Central Route
The Sheung Wan Route]

Enlarge Map

Former Western Fire Station
(Po Leung Kuk Chan Au Big Yan Home for the Elderly)

12 Belcher’s Street

When it was opened in 1923 for use by the Sanitary Department, the building also housed a temporary fire sub-station manned by just 10 firefighters and one motor pump. It then became the Kennedy Town Fire Station and was renamed the Western Fire Station in 1937. It was converted into staff quarters for the Urban Services Department (USD) in 1950, while a primary school was run by the USD Staff General Association on the premises from 1951 to 1976. The building was taken over in 1986 by the Social Welfare Department, which converted it into a home for the elderly managed by the Po Leung Kuk. It is a very handsomely proportioned four-storey brick structure with a symmetrical façade and louvred windows.

* This building is not open to the public

Former Western Fire Station
Back to Map

Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme