Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
search site map contact us

Heritage Trails


Central and Western Heritage Trail

Western District and the Peak Route
[To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Central Route
The Sheung Wan Route]

Enlarge Map

Kau Yan Church
97A High Street

The site was originally home to a church, together with a school and offices, built in 1861 by the Basel Mission for a congregation from the Hakka community. The Tsung Tsin Mission was established in 1924 to take over the church, which was granted independence in 1927 subject to the church being rebuilt and renamed Kau Yan Church. Completed in 1932, it was designed by Palmer & Turner Architects in concrete and stone in the Gothic Revival style with pointed arches and applied buttresses. From the tower above the altar at the northern end, the building naturally follows the slope of the terrain. The adjoining school and residential site were redeveloped in 1958 and then again in 1995.

Tel: 2858 1626

Kau Yan Church
Back to Map

Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme