Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Antiquities and Monuments Office Brand Hong Kong - Asia's world city
GovHKText Only繁體版簡體版
search site map contact us

Heritage Trails


Central and Western Heritage Trail

Western District and the Peak Route
[To Other Central and Western Heritage Trail ─
The Central Route
The Sheung Wan Route]

Enlarge Map

Hung Hing Ying Building of The University of Hong Kong
Bonham Road

One of the earliest structures on the campus of The University of Hong Kong, the two-storey Hung Hing Ying Building with its central dome was constructed in the Classic Revival style in red brick to emulate the Main Building that stands opposite. Originally built to house the student union, it was financed by Sir Paul Chater and the then Acting Vice-Chancellor Professor G.P. Jordan, among others, and opened in 1919 by Hong Kong Governor Sir Reginald Stubbs. It was used temporarily for administrative purposes after World War II before being converted in 1974 to provide a common room for senior academic staff. It was renamed the Hung Hing Ying Building in 1986 in recognition of the benefactor’s generous support of the university. It was once home to the Department of Music between 1996 and 2012. The exterior was declared a monument in 1995.

* This building is not open to the public

Hung Hing Ying Building of the University of Hong Kong
Back to Map

Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Web Accessibility Recognition Scheme